Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cautiously Optimistic

Today may have been the toughest day yet. He started his new medication this morning. I told him it was going to make his stomach feel really good today. Here's to the power of positive thinking! The plan would be to give him the dose with lunch. So after school lunch was prepped for the kids and I just couldn't even bring myself to eat. I let him finish most of his lunch and then brought the little cup of peanut into his sight. As soon as he saw it he started to cry and told me he didn't want to eat it. Oh dear. This new medication had better work or our journey is going to be a lot shorter than planned. I convinced him to eat it and he seemed ok for almost an hour. He then started to complain about his stomach and we got up and walked around and it seemed to pass. This happened 2 more times in a 2 1/2 hour period and finally after 3 hours he wanted a snack. He then had some food and tolerated it well. I could tell his demeanor was back to normal. He made it through and he told me it wasn't near as bad as yesterday. I hope it will get better each day as the medication gets into his system more. I don't like the thought of putting him on medication. It feels like a rock and a hard place. Any way you look at it there is risk--using medications to continue the study or electing to not treat his peanut allergy and risk allergic reaction from accidental peanut exposure. The little guy will never know how hard it is for me to make these decisions and watch the consequences. You just do the best you can each day. Keep praying we move in a postive direction. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment