Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

2nd Clinic Visit--May 23, 2012

The little guy is so brave.  I don't know that I would have had his courage at age 5.  Heck, I didn't know he really had it in him. 

He was in good spirits today when we arrived in clinic.  He "graduated"  to the next dose which is 6mg of peanut protein.  This is the powder form, and hopefully this would mean less side effects.  He did well until about 45 minutes into the dose and then he started to complain his stomach hurt.  We got up and walked around in the hall and the symptoms continued.  The allergist then had me give him 1/2 of a chewable antacid we brought along.  After about 10-15 minutes things seemed to be going well and he said his symptoms were all better.  He continued to play on the ipad and then finally our 2 hours were up! Yeah!  He made it through today.  The antacid seemed to do the trick.  We went out to the car, started up the interstate and passed the last rest stop before our exit (Do you see where this is going??).  At 5 miles from our exit he all of a sudden said, "Mama, I'm going to be sick!"  Luckily, being the planner that I am, I asked the allergist if we could bring the small emesis basin with us just in case.  Sometimes I feel like my intuition is a blessing and a curse.  I whipped that sucker out of our book bag and handed it back to him just in time.  The only problem was that there was nowhere safe to pull over on the interstate, so the poor little guy had to sit with that under his chin for 5 miles until the exit.  He just kept saying " I don't like this Mama, I don't like doing this!"  Oh, I could have just cried right there.  We were finally able to joke that his stuffed monkey did it and that got him to laugh. 

Once we got home and he was cleaned up, I made a call to the allergist.  He feels we need to proceed with a prescription proton pump inhibitor (stronger acid relief) beginning tomorrow.  They have seen success in helping people through these symptoms with these medications so if we want to keep trying, this is our first option.  I was too afraid to ask how many more options there were if this didn't work because I just can't imagine having to quit.  He will take this medication daily, for at least 8 weeks, if it works for him.  These medications are VERY hard to find in a pediatric formulation so after making calls to lots of different pharmacies, I had to speak with the allergist again and change brands of medications.  It just seems like we cannot catch a break!

The lab results from last time were not back yet, so next visit we will review those.  The allergist and I talked a lot about the other participants that had the vomiting issue and for some it got better and then for 2 it did not and they had to leave the study.  I asked if we had started on the first dose and not escalated so quickly if that would have made a difference and he felt it would have just prolonged it--basically if it was going to happen it was going to happen.

I talked to the little guy tonight and reassured him that we are only trying to help.  He was in such good spirits and acted as if nothing happened.  He had a great evening, ate a good dinner and played hard.  I am so thankful it passes quickly for him.  I wish it did for me.

to be continued.....

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed that he is willing toeat anything after having an experience like that. I would think that in his mind he would be afraid that eating anything would cause him to get sick. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too early in the morning for me to think properly. My comment is redundant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even more amazing is that as soon as we got home and cleaned up he asked for a yogurt smoothie! Within 15 minutes of it all! I gave him chips instead and gobbled those down, busy with his legos! Seems like the minute he gets it off his stomach he is fine. The odds arent in our favor, but we will keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete