Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New Hurdles--August 29, 2012

Yesterday when I posted the little guy was at school and hadn't had his dose yet for the day.  It is a good thing I posted when I did or I may have been too discouraged to do it at all.  He finished his third day of school yesterday and he is doing fairly well except for a few things.  With all the "new" things he is being exposed to, he seems to be leaving eating and drinking much during the day until he gets home.  I made sure he has money on his account to buy milk and he refuses to do so.  Not a problem if he would drink the bottle of water I put in his lunchbox, but he won't.  For just any kid this would not be a problem and would work itself out.  For a kid who has to come home and dose his peanut, this does not make for a good afternoon.  When I picked him up yesterday he was sweaty and you could tell he had been having fun on the playground.  That was great to see.  But in my "medical" perspective I had a bad feeling about his peanut since he was overheated and dehydrated from lack of fluid intake.  He drank water in the car on the way home and I filled him up with a heavy snack at home.  He is starved when he gets home and will eat anything I put in front of him.  The little guy ate his peanut and went on drawing pictures of houses--his latest craze.  Within 15 minutes he got up and ran to the bathroom and vomited.  It even came out his nose so he was screaming from that.  He then started sneezing (at least 20 times) and had excessive runny nose.  I had to give him benadryl his symptoms were so bad.  His poor nose closed up so badly he couldn't even blow it.  No other symptoms though, thank goodness.  After about an hour he was more himself and he did eat a good dinner.  But as soon as dinner was over it was time for bed!  Poor guy!  He didn't even get a chance to have any fun after his school day.  Hopefully I feel more guilty and bad about it than him.  I tried to tell him how important drinking fluids at school is.  I pack plenty of water bottles for him in his book bag, it is just a matter of him learning to speak up for himself and learning to take care of himself.  I hope getting sick with his peanut will help him learn sooner rather than later.  We have all sacrificed so much over the last 4 months to have something like this bring the study to an end.  But, school is priority number one now. 

I am anxious to see how he is when I pick him up today.  He was still very congested this morning from his allergies.  I think maybe today I will only give him half a dose of his peanut and let his immune system settle down.  He does have to go back next week for a dose increase back to 75mg.  I pray we can get the school routine settled and give him the best chance to succeed--on all fronts.  He is a brave little kid and I am so proud of him.

to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry he has had some setbacks. Clue the teacher in to the fact that he must stay hydrated. This is something that we teachers have not encouraged. Remember how you might have had a couple of water breaks and standing in line at the water fountain when you were in school? We just don't do enough with school aged kids and hydration. Maybe I would not be in the bind with kidney stones had I known the importance of hydration all these years.